Christmas in July celebrations are wrapping up (no pun intended). You may have hosted a gathering of your own, browsed new holiday items in a store or simply inventoried your holiday décor collection. No matter the case, now is still a great time to begin plotting out your home décor plan for end-of-year holiday hosting. At Jewel Marie Interiors, we enjoy decorating for the holidays as much as you do. Here are six things to consider now before the holiday season kicks off that have been helpful to our clients.
1. Don’t feel pressured to buy all new. While it can be fun to shop the newest holiday décor trends it is certainly not a must. There are plenty of ways to spruce up your holiday decorations without spending money. Take a look at what you have stored away. Then start to mix them in with existing non-seasonal items throughout your home. What seasonal foliage do you already have in your yard or garden that you could incorporate within a wreath, garland, or a vase? Do you have a few framed pictures that you could swap out with online printables or childhood Christmas artwork? Peruse your local thrift stores for one-of-a-kind finds at a fraction of the cost of new décor.
2. Don’t overthink colors or themes. Holiday themes can help focus your creative energy when decorating, but having too many can appear disordered. Think open concept and unify the décor throughout your home as much as possible. A winter wonderland theme doesn’t need to be all white and a vintage theme doesn’t mean you can’t add in some modern pieces. Experiment with placement and create a space that you love that flows from room to room. When in doubt, pull up a color wheel to make sure the colors in your décor complement each other.
3. Don’t begin without a focal point. Whether you’re decorating one room or a few, make sure there’s a designated focal point in mind for each. In an entryway it may be a table or staircase bannister. In other rooms it may be the fireplace mantel or a dining table. This will be where your “wow” decorating pieces sit to inspire conversation and the nostalgic warmth of the holidays. You decide what you have on-hand that will feature the space best. In the photo below, notice how the decorator has opted to feature the walkway entry to the great room with two beautiful trees and matching ornate deer figurines. The eye is immediately drawn to the trees while the rest of the space is balanced with a few smaller accents.
4. Don’t skimp on lights. A decked out holiday home with too little lighting is like Santa Clause without his reindeer. You’ve invested in your holiday décor collection so you’ll want to make sure it’s highlighted with the right lighting ensemble. Choose from string lights, candles, landscape spotlights, and other pre-lit holiday accents to make sure your holiday design doesn’t fall flat. Adorn a tabletop with groupings of faux candles in various heights and sizes. Add additional string lights to any pre-lit wreath, tree, or garland to give it that extra sparkle. We also recommend adding Bluetooth or WiFi Smart home outlets near any plug-in holiday décor. Map where those items will be now to help you determine how many outlets to purchase so that you can easily manage them from your Smart devices this season.
5. Don’t make the outside an afterthought. Tie in the outside of your home with the efforts you’ve made on the inside. It doesn’t have to take much to bring a splash of holiday cheer to the outside of a home. Use solar landscape lights to highlight a front door wreath. Border a front stoop with two holiday themed topiaries. Line a walkway with Christmas tree silhouettes.
6. Don’t take it too seriously. Holiday decorating should be all about the fun and fellowship the task brings. Invite your family to take part in preparing your home for the holidays. Gather a few friends for a holiday wreath-making craft night. Pour your energy into the traditions you’re making and everything you decorate will embody the true meaning of the season.
Get Your Home Holiday-Ready
We love helping clients create a home that they are proud to show off to friends and family. If you have a project that you’re interested in speaking with us about you can book a 20 minute discovery call on our website.